Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Melting of My Heart

We arrived in the evening to our hotel in a quiet area outside of the city which was just perfect for us. Away from the horns and the cars... near quiet desert, mountains, and the stars. The next morning we became quickly acquainted with our neighbors as the young girls motioned for us to come into their home. Rex was hesitant, but I convinced him to come along.

As soon as we were inside they showed us the newborn lambs which they were quite proud of. Each girl beamed as she had her own photo with the lamb, even the baby of the group managed to get her photo opp. After the initial meeting they brought me inside and decorated me with bracelets, earings, bindis, and nail polish. I hardly remember how it all occured they were so fast, before I knew it they had me fully dressed as a traditional Rajasthani woman. Then they each took turns photographing me. It was hilarious! This all took place in sign language since we could not completely understand each another.

We never met the the father, but we met the mother, 6 of her 8 daughters, the grandmother and the uncle. I fell in love with the girls and visited them each day. The girls worked as tailors in their home... one evening when I stopped by I saw them sewing, bright smiles and all.

Even though it was clear they did not have much the mother cooked us chapatis served with yogurt and hot peppers... I am sure she would have given us more. I wanted to give them everything I had!






Posted by Picasa

No comments: